Recipe from The Noshery
This recipe is dairy free
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 1-1/2” cubes
- 1 ½ cups corn starch
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Oil (for frying)
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 2 ½ tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, grated
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ginger root, minced
- ½ teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons green onion, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Combine corn starch, salt, and pepper. Prepare a bowl with beaten eggs, another with panko bread crumbs and another with corn starch.
- Dip chicken in egg mixture, dredge in cornstarch, then again in the eggs and finally in the panko bread crumbs, set aside. (Use a fork unless you’re interested in sticky breaded hands.)
- Heat pan with vegetable oil to 375 degrees, fry chicken in batches until completely cooked.
- In a large saucepan combine 1 ½ cups water, orange juice, rice vinegar, and soy sauce.
- Blend well over medium heat for a few minutes. Stir in brown sugar, orange zest, ginger, garlic and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil.
- Combine 3 tablespoons of cornstarch with 1/4 cup of water and mix thoroughly. Slowly stir cornstarch mixture into sauce until it thickens.
- Pour sauce over breaded chicken, and if desired garnish with green onions.